I promised I’d post about failures in the garden, so I can’t leave out a post about sauerkraut. With so much wombok ready to harvest this week, we just couldn’t eat enough of it (despite my best attempts!). So I thought I’d give preserving it a go. I realise sauerkraut is generally made from standard cabbage, but I thought it was worth an experiment (might have been my first mistake).

I followed the recipe in one of my preserving book… (basically chop, salt then pack the whole lot to a jar) …until it reached the point of needing to cover the cabbage with a muslin cloth. Which I didn’t have… so I just had to skip that bit (probably my next mistake) and covered the jar with stocking instead (an internet search recommendation).

For the first few days it did nothing. Couldn’t see any change at all, despite being promised bubbling etc. Then mould grew on top – which I thought probably meant the end of it. But I thought I’d scrape it off, let it go for another couple of days just to see what happened. I mean the recipe did say to scrape off “scum”. I really should have thrown it out… definitely another mistake. The whole thing turned cloudy and the stench was absolutely foul! Stank the whole kitchen out! So not a success… next time I might try freezing any extras instead.

Advertisements